early Japanese cinema anthology / scripts - Responses

noble 1362 noble1362
Thu Nov 1 21:04:20 EDT 2007

I got a copy of "Masterpieces of Japanese Silent Cinema" earlier inthe year, along with the "Japanese Anime Classic Collection" (which ismore cartoons rather than what's currently considered anime). I alsojust got the first two DVDs in the "Talking Silents" series, whichfalls under "Masterpieces of Japanese Silent *FILM*." That's aseparate animal.
I had compatibility issues with "Silent Cinema" - it's a DVD-ROM, nota DVD, so my DVD player isn't happy with it (although it plays mostanything). In addition my laptop at home is old and has a CD-ROMdrive, so I can't play it there. I took it to work and checked thatthe disc was okay; I'll get a new laptop in the near future and watchthen. (I'd really like to see the Yaji and Kita bits, having watchedthe modern Yaji and Kita last February.)
It's really a reference work, though, not a true DVD to watch. Youmight be able to convince your local library to get a copy (dependingon where you're at). Thus the two-minute segments. I did get a breakon it because I got the anime collection (which I got a break on forordering before a certain date). There may have also been a break onthe shipping. I don't remember what I paid, but all the breaks addedup to around $100. (Which was good.)
*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*~*
If you're talking about "Silent Film," I just got the first two DVDslast weekend. Beyond checking to see they played correctly, I haven'twatched themyet, but what I saw was fine. They're all-region, and theyrun at 24 fps (which I'm not sure is what they *should* be, but thelittle I watched didn't look speeded up). I can't speak much to imagequality, but I'm looking forward to seeing them because Mizoguchi isone of my favorite directors. (If you ask me in December, I canprobably give you better information.)
Got a break on this because I ordered before a certain date, but only5-10% off. A little expensive, but that's what Japanese DVDs do.

Hope this helps.
There are also some postings about it on the Criterion board, underInternational DVD News and Discussions.

Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 13:40:30 +0000From: macyroger at yahoo.co.ukTo: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.eduSubject: Re: early Japanese cinema anthology / scripts

Even before the posting below, I had been trying to persuade the BFI library in London to buy this DVD-Rom, as it was also stiff for my budget.  They said they'd definitely be interested if I could reassure them on compatibility - apparently many of their older CD-Roms are unplayable.
I've had no reply to two emails to Japan, and I wondered whether anyone on this forum could enlighten us as to its compatibility with recent versions of Windows, etc., or knows someone who could tell us ?
regards,
Roger