Kihachiro Kawamoto's puppet animation update - Sheffield and London

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Mon Apr 21 11:27:11 EDT 2008

The Kawamoto Puppet Masters season continues its onwards march across the UK over the next fortnight.

I'll be catching up with it in Sheffield to introduce the first of the three programs, DEMONS, POETS & PRIESTS, at 6pm on the evening of Friday 25th April.

This is at the Sheffield Showroom, and more details can be found on www.showroom.org.uk/cinema/screening_times.html.

Then the following week, on Saturday May 3rd, all three programs of Kawamoto's films will be playing at the Barbican in London, with programs at 12:00, 14:00 and 16:15. This last screening, of The Book of the Dead, is preceded by me in conversation with anime expert Helen McCarthy.

More details on the Barbican's excellent website:
www.barbican.org.uk/film/series.asp?id=554

For those who missed the fascinating panel discussion at the Bristol Watershed's event between 3 of the top UK stop-motion animators, Peter Lord, Barry Purves and David Borthwick, you can listen (and or add a link) to an audio version at:

www.dshed.net/studio/events/anima_panel/anima_panel.html

Its not in any way specific to Kawamoto or Japanese animation, but anyone interested in the nuts and bolts of stop motion, and a rather polemic discussion about the limitations of computer graphics, should well find it interesting,

Jasper Sharp

Midnight Eye
www.midnighteye.com