new "youth film'?

Melek Ortabasi mortabas at hamilton.edu
Fri Apr 25 10:48:47 EDT 2008

Hi all,

OK, not film, but if we're talking about sweetly bittersweet stories
about youthful collectives (of sometimes a strange variety), then
author Yoshimoto Banana springs to mind. (Sorry if someone mentioned
her already). In the literary world, she seems to have been the first
(though I'm not sure of this) to cash in on the idea that young
people have their own kind of society -- one which isn't necessarily
sexy and/or violent. Many of her characters make their own
collectives/families out of "found people" (as opposed to "found
objects"). There is also a strong aspect of non-sexual love, often
between young men and women whom we might otherwise expect to develop
a more conventional romantic relationship. _Kitchen_, _Tsugumi_, etc.

Just a thought.

Cheers,
Melek
--