Nostalgia, Big City<->Hometown

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Apr 29 04:28:06 EDT 2008

"Nostalgia is by no means new" - very nice.

Not perhaps as axiomatic as Faith's suggestions, but I happened to read at the weekend a passage by Arthur Nolletti on Izu no odoriko (1933), p49 in his book, 'the setting encourages us to imagine another time, another place - a world in which the appearance of an occasional car or bus seems an anachronism.  Admittedly an unabashedly romantic view, it was nevertheless one that many Japanese of the 1930s wanted to believe in.'
I'm not at all sure that a scarcity of cars on remote country roads in the 1930s in any country was anachronistic, but the projection of the countryside as a stage for nostalgia is surely valid.

But the passage actually brought to mind a very different recent film, Yamashita's Tennen Kokekko.  I'm not sure I believe there's a school anywhere where pupils would never ape the behaviours they see on the television - and all of the accounts of bad behaviour I have heard from Japanese schools have come from rural schools.  But certainly I very much want to believe in that place.

Just my view,
Roger