Emma Newbery emmanewbery at hotmail.co.uk
Mon Dec 29 05:27:02 EST 2008

Hello Zoe

I am presently completing my PhD thesis on Japanese horror cinema focusing on the influence of Japanese ancient mythology and folklore on contemporary Japanese horror productions, centering on the Ringu series of moving image productions. Your subject sounds very interesting - I too did my dissertation on Ring, focusing on the representation of eastern and western cultural clashes present within Nakata's and Verbinski's respective cinematic incarnations. Let me know if i can be any help to you. As a side note, Jay McRoy's texts are useful on this subject, and Colette Balmain has just released a text entitled "Introduction to Japanese Horror Cinema" - i have it just not had chance to read it yet!