Miike at Yasukuni?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Jul 18 05:47:23 EDT 2008

I took my class to Yasukuni Shrine on Tuesday, but while we were in
the Yushukan, I noticed that they were showing an animated film
directed by Miike Takeshi entitled Heiwa e no ukei (A Vow for Peace).
Searching on the net, it seems that while a DVD is available, about
the only place it is being sold is Yasukuni. Since one should be
suspicious of anything at Yasukuni--and especially the Yushukan--as
well as their definition of "peace", I wonder if anyone knows
anything more about this. I didn't have time to watch it (even though
it is a little under an hour), and I don't like spending money at
Yasukuni. It is apparently in two parts, one about the origins of the
Yamaga Lantern festival, the other about Matsuo Keiu, who attacked
Sydney Harbor in a midget submarine during WWII.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363