request : study cinema in Japan

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Thu May 8 09:16:52 EDT 2008

> So far, to fill out the applications, I have to choose three
> universities and to be in touch with the professors in charge of
> the cinema department of these ones.
> I would like to know from you which are the best universities
> either to study cinema (in a theorical way) or to practice it
> (producing, directing,...). Also, I would like to know the names of
> the professors (and maybe, if it is possible, their e-mail adresses).

There are now more places to study cinema than in the past at the
university or graduate level. If you want to study filmmaking, the
most famous graduate program is Tokyo National University of Fine
Arts and Music. But they teach little film theory.

The best places for theory are Waseda, Meiji Gakuin, Nagoya, Nihon
University and Tokyo University, with new programs at Ritsumeikan and
Rikkyo. Most have production courses, but Nihon University is the
best for that amongst these. Quite a number also have experience with
foreign students and scholars.

I know most of the people who teach at these places, but I would
refrain from sending out their e-mail addresses in this forum. Do
note that Saito Ayako, who teaches at Meiji Gakuin, Fujiki Hideaki,
who teaches at Nagoya, and Fujii Jinshi, who teaches at Waseda, are
KineJapan members and can be found on our recipients list (see the
"information" file which you can get--see below).

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html