Jasper sez there's a sea change afoot

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp
Sun May 18 17:40:54 EDT 2008

Well Markus, I'm not sure how well I can further explain this, because maybe it was just an intuition I had this time round, and of course it was only based on what was screening in Frankfurt.

My take is based perhaps less on what is going on in Japan than what is actually making it onto British shores. About 5 years ago, when the Japanese cult cinema bug was biting hard in the wake of Battle Royale, Ring, Audition, Miyazaki et al, we were swamped with titles, mainly J-horror and anime, but it all seemed very new and exciting.

But nowadays there seems to be a crisis of nerve with distributors, in that there's no immediate bandwagon to latch onto and very little "new" stuff is coming through - by "new" I mean there's still new anime and new horror, and new films from old directors (I'm frankly surprised that Yoji Yamada and Jun Ichikawa have been the "latest" discoveries for British distributors), but little indication of any new trends in Japanese cinema, of a new generation of filmmakers emerging to replace Kitano, Koreeda, Nakata et al.

Those who live in Japan would certainly be well versed with Kudo Kankuro and his ilk, the new strain of more playful cinema that is coming out, and these are playing at festivals to replace the more serious films of the Kawases and Aoyamas of this world. Very little of these seem to have hit the radar of Uk (and US?) distributors yet.

So, regarding this idea of sea change, I noticed this year:

a) A lot more films by either first time directors, or names I'd not heard before.

b) A generally increased willingness and ability to entertain - lots of comedies, and generally films better structured and less baggy than the past few years. Little I saw seemed to outstay its welcome or go on too long. Films by new and older directors alike seemed to be quite simply better made and less self-indulgent.

c) On the political front, there were films that actually had a point to make, unlike the baggy, non-commital docs such as Matsue's Anyong Kimchee, which you mention in your book as being "non-poli" (ie made without any real sense of political message or purpose) - You could hardly accuse Tokko: Wings of Defeat or Yasukuni of this, and though not actually made by Japanese directors, I'd say they were certainly Japanese films about subjects senstive for the Japanese.

As I mention, this is only an intuition I had, but overall I found the wave of new films played in Frankfurt this year a lot more refreshing than previous years.
Is it really only me that senses this?
A point of debate anyway....

Jasper

(sorry if I'm not coherent - I've been at the computer all day!)

Midnight Eyewww.midnighteye.com