Running I.E. on a Mac (Re: Online Japanese TV Free Trial)

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar
Thu May 1 15:16:59 EDT 2008

The service says it only works with Windows and IE 6.0 or higher. The last version of IE for Mac was 5.0, after which it was discontinued. In order to use this service on a Mac, one has no choice but to install Windows.

I found a list of some other Japanese Internet television services: http://www.faminet.co.jp/d_guide/d_tk/other/internet_jp_tv.html.

None of them seems any more Mac-friendly than this one. Many require one to purchase additional (and expensive) proprietary hardware (as well as being Windows-only). I guess the conventional wisdom is that "wareware nihonjin" only use Windows.

Kerim Yasar

drainer at mpinet.net wrote:
You do not need to purchase Windows to run Internet Explorer on a Macintosh;
there are open source programs to install IE on your computer. IE is,
believe it or not, "free."

I'm guessing that the video format is the same as Netflix's instant watching
(it only works on Explorer).

Operating systems aside, I think that the most burden to come out of this is
the price, 3,600/5,000 yen per month -- that's quite a lot of money to watch
television on your computer (not everyone has a video card which they can
hook up to a telly, amongst other things to make the experience enjoyable).

But when you have no other option.....

-d