Running I.E. on a Mac (Re: Online Japanese TV Free Trial)

Kerim Yasar kerimyasar
Fri May 2 12:20:55 EDT 2008

I downloaded the ies4osx software and gave it a whirl. It's extremely slow (it runs on the X11 Linux emulator), unstable, and can't even play simple .flv files on YouTube. I then went back to the J-Network Service and tried to sign up for the free trial only to find that you need to download their own Windows .exe application to do anything at all. So it appears there is in fact no workaround--you must run Windows to use this service.

Kerim Yasar

drainer at mpinet.net wrote:
 I haven't tested it out myself (only checking e-mail lately, no web use),
but from the other messages it sounds exactly like Netflix's codec, which I
think is based on ActiveX, and you guessed it, doesn't work with anything
other than IE.

 However, your last comment sounds like another problem altogether!
 Seems redundant for the block, when there are other internet based TV
services available in Japan. But then again, that's how business is
conducted in Japan, if it's explicitly for 'export' purposes then that's the
only market share it will get.

 Has anyone else outside of Japan tried internet TV through other services?

 I have an acquaintance who gets real time Tokyo broadcasts at his business,
I think he uses the original internet TV service based in Japan, registered
to a Japanese address. He has it streaming through a television set and it
works well, however, I have no idea how the setup takes place. From my
understanding, I am led to believe that users in Japan get the service and
relay it through some server where upon the international user can access
it. I'm not sure it's as simple as a login/password, since we know they
block non .jp IPs.

 That is the service I would like to try out, even though it's an obvious
grey area.

-d