Star of the Orient

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sun Oct 5 00:16:26 EDT 2008

The New York Times Book Review has a review of Ian Buruma's new book
Star of the Orient, a novel about Yamaguchi Yoshiko based in part on
fact and part on fiction.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/05/books/review/Hammer-t.html?
ei=5070&emc=eta1

The book, the review says, shows how Buruma is "fascinated by the
power of the cinema in Japanese history, both as a cultural
touchstone and as a political tool used by conquering armies."

A number of the characters are based on people we know (Sidney
Vanoven is clearly Donald Richie) and it seems we could all play the
game of trying to find out who is who.

Has anyone read it yet?

Aaron Gerow
KineJapan owner

Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University

For list commands, send "information kinejapan" to
listserver at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
Kinema Club: http://pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html