They always said the movies are a gamble...

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Oct 17 10:33:54 EDT 2008

On Oct 16, 2008, at 9:49 AM, Kirsten Cather wrote:

> Somewhat along these lines, I was curious if anyone could tell me
> about or point me to
> a good source on the less shady diversification of the film
> industry in the 1970s. I was
> reading somewhere about the Toho Flyers (I think?), which I gather
> was a baseball team,
> and about studios getting into the bowling business, but couldn't
> find much more about
> it. Any information or references would be much appreciated.

These are actually different phenomena from different periods. Since
movies were the kings of entertainment in the 1950s, many of the
major studios owned their own professional baseball teams at that
time. They are thus a manifestation of the industry's riches. Here
are some of them:

Toei Flyers (now the Hokkaido Nippon Ham Fighters)
Shochiku Robins (one of the ancestors of the Yokohama Bay Stars)
Daiei Unions (one of the ancestors of Chiba Lotte Marines)

Toho didn't have its own baseball team, but I think that's because
its parent company, Hankyu, already did (the Hankyu Braves).

The phenomenon of bowling alleys happens later around 1970 when the
industry is in decline and needs to find ways to reuse the land on
which unprofitable theaters sat.

For a lot of basic information, you can just consult the company
histories of these studios. Especially the recent ones (like
Chronicle Toei or the Shochiku 110 nenshi) do a decent job of
covering their non-film businesses.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363