Ph D Guidance

George Stey stey.4 at osu.edu
Tue Oct 28 21:56:26 EDT 2008

Hello,

My name is George Stey and I am a second year graduate student pursuing an MA in East Asian Studies at the Ohio State University.  I have been on the list for several years now, but this is my first post.

I have just returned from a year abroad at Waseda University and am about to start applying to PhD programs as I finish my MA.  I was hoping I might ask for everyone's advice as to which schools and programs I should look into.  My interests include Japanese film, film realism, and Japanese animation and manga.  I am now in the preliminary stages of writing my thesis on realism in Japanese animation, undeniably formalistic in nature.  I would like to continue my studies of Japanese film and Japan in a relevant program, whether Film Studies, Media Studies, East Asian Languages and Literatures, East Asian Studies, etc.

Both my undergraduate major GPA (Japanese with honors and research distinction) as well as my graduate GPA are 4.0, so I would very much like to apply to the best programs possible.  Also an issue is funding; I was lucky to receive grants, scholarships, and two Foreign Language and Area Studies (FLAS) fellowships until this point in my education and would very much like to find some sort of funding for my PhD level work as well, be it scholarship, teaching assistantship, or research assistantship.

Which are the best schools and programs that I might apply to?  Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thank you very much.

George Stey