Senior Academic Position at UT

Kirsten Cather kcather
Fri Oct 10 13:08:26 EDT 2008

Dear Members,

I am chairing a university search committee to fill a senior position
that might be of interest to some Japanese film scholars.  The
position is the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries Chaired Professorship in
Japanese Studies at the University of Texas at Austin.  Please see
below for details, and don't hesitate to contact me if you have any
questions!

Sincerely,

Patricia Maclachlan

Associate Professor of Government and Asian Studies

Director, Center for East Asian Studies

-------------------------

Job Description:

The Department of Asian Studies at the University of Texas at Austin
invites applications for a tenured position in modern or pre-modern
Japan Studies to be the holder of the Mitsubishi Heavy Industries
Chair in Japanese Studies. The ideal candidate will have a
disciplinary and research focus in the broad field of the humanities
relating to the civilization and society of Japan; the department is
especially interested in the areas of literature and religion. The
selected candidate will be expected to teach courses at both the
graduate and undergraduate level, to supervise students at the MA and
Ph.D. level, to engage in scholarly research, and to provide service
to the department, college and university. This person will play a
leading role in the intellectual life of both the Japan and East Asia
programs in the department and the Center for East Asian Studies.

Applicant Instructions:

We ask that applications be submitted by Monday, January 19, 2009,
but will continue to accept applications until the position is
filled. Please send a letter of interest, current CV, and names and
addresses of at least three possible references to: Japan Search
Committee, Department of Asian Studies, WCH 4.134, 1 University
Station G9300, The University of Texas at Austin, Austin, Texas
78712. For additional information, please contact Professor Patricia
Maclachlan, Chair, Japan Search Committee, at
pmaclachlan at mail.utexas.edu. Background check conducted on successful
candidate. Position funding is pending budgetary approval. The
University of Texas is an Affirmative Action, Equal Opportunity
Employer.