Revisionist Nanking doc screening in LA

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow
Sun Oct 12 21:35:35 EDT 2008

On Oct 12, 2008, at 6:44 PM, Tom Mes wrote:

> Received the invite below in the Midnight Eye inbox a few days ago.
> It was signed by a certain Steven W., whoever that may be. Is this
> the Ishihara Shintaro-backed project that claims the Nanking
> massacre was all Chinese propaganda?
> They have a website up that doesn't contain much info: http://
> www.thetruthofnanking.com
>
> In any case, those in the LA area, especially those with enough
> historical knowledge to counter its arguments, might want to check
> this out. It is better to expose than to ignore.

The director Mizushima Satoru is rather prominent amongst right wing
revisionists. He in fact runs the ultranationalist satellite
broadcast channel Nihon Bunka Channel Sakura, which I think was one
of the bases for making the film. (It seems ultranationalism does not
make money, so the channel has been severely downsized recently.)

Here are some articles about Mizushima and the film.

http://afp.google.com/article/ALeqM5g6Nth6UTotMij3LFn1-1QXIwl5nA
http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/world/archives/2007/01/26/2003346406

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363