Japan Foundation 16mm prints

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Wed Sep 3 09:32:08 EDT 2008

On Sep 3, 2008, at 3:21 AM, Mark Mays wrote:

> Has anyone had any experience programming a fest or retro in
> concert with
> the Japan Foundation? The consulate just moved here to Nashville
> and this
> seems like a great opportunity to put something together here.

Yale has done a series of films through the JF practically every
semester since I have come here. We have had a good relation with the
NY office, who have been quite cooperative. Again, they will not tell
you outright what they have, but if you give them a list, they will
tell you if they have it or not. Since I have a long relationship
with the JF, I know a lot of what they have already, but the NYC
people have helped me when I have searched for other things.

The main problem these days is the copyright holders. Some are
wonderful. We showed Boryoku no machi last year and the copyright
holder was so thrilled he let us show it for free. Some, like Toei,
are recently coming under the mistaken impression that since the
"contents industry" is big these days that can ask for $900 to screen
a 35mm print of a film completely unknown abroad in an educational
setting with no attendance fees. More reasonable places charge $300
to $500 for 35mm screenings in our case, since most will cut off a
bit of the rental fee if we tell them we don't charge admission.

I have suggested to the JF that they should put in a word or two with
the copyright holders, since if they keep insisting on such rates,
people will stop showing the films and an audience--for later on DVD
and other formats--will not grow. But many in the Japanese film
industry these days are ignorant and short-sighted, only looking at
the money in front of their faces and not thinking of long-term ways
of building up their business. It is quite frustrating dealing with
such people who don't understand their business or care much about
movies.

Aaron Gerow
Assistant Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363