Japanese governmental agencies/film culture promotional policies

Lorenzo Javier Torres Hortelano ljth2006 at gmail.com
Fri Sep 5 05:35:33 EDT 2008

As Aaron and others are talking about Japanese government, I guess it is
interesting I talk you about an experience I had with Japanese Embassy in
Madrid: It was five years ago, just when 2nd invasion of Irak was beginning.
In that date I was trying to arrange an exhibit of Japanese cinema in
Círculo de Bellas Artes, one of the most importants cultural centers in
Madrid, located at the beginning of 'Paseo del Arte' (Museo del Prado,
etc.).

At the Embassy were very polite to me, gave me a huge list of avalaible
movies of 35 and 16 mm with Spanish subtitles from an archive of Japan
Foundation in México. I was able to choose any movie from that list -all
periods were represented, may be more from the 50's. Besides, politely they
would bring the movies from México -as you can guess, very expensive- by
diplomatic bag.

The problem was that I tried to focus the exhibit in movies about war. When
some days passed, they told me that Japanese government couldn't support
that. May be I was a kind of naïve. May be culture should help to make World
politics better...

Lorenzo J. Torres Hortelano
Profesor Titular
Universidad Rey Juan Carlos