Sight and Sound September

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Tue Aug 4 19:40:09 EDT 2009

The September edition of Sight and Sound, out now, has a piece by listmember Alex Jacoby on Oshima, to usher in the season at the BFI, London, whose members' booking period opened today.

There's also a potpourri piece called 'The Wild Bunch' with 200-word sketches of numerous 'rebel' directors.  Tony Rayns, Jasper Sharp, and others have given Japan a strong represention by Imamura, Masumura, Miike, Nakagawa, Ogawa, Suzuki Seijun, Tsukamoto and Wakamatsu.  Mind you, the general selection is decidely quirky with several papas against whom others rebelled.  If they can have Cecil B. DeMille as a rebel, I think we should be able to have Makino Masahiro, if not his dad.
Roger