Alternate Japanese titles outside of Japan

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at pomona.edu
Sat Dec 26 02:43:26 EST 2009

I would like to concur with Aaron's observation, with the additional note that I've seen the same phenomenon on the Mainland, Shanghai specifically, in the last few years that I've been going there and checking out the pirate markets. Speakers of Mandarin will no doubt have far more to say, but I see the Japanese ¤Î being used as a substitute for Ö®¡ªas it is used in Japan also. The titles are simply Chinese local titles and are not intended to be read in Japanese.

Jonathan M Hall

²î³öÈË: owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu [owner-KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu] ¤Ï Aaron Gerow [aaron.gerow at yale.edu] ¤Î´úÀí
ËÍÐÅÈÕ•r: 2009Äê12ÔÂ25ÈÕ 2:12
ÍðÏÈ: KineJapan at lists.acs.ohio-state.edu
¼þÃû: Re: Alternate Japanese titles outside of Japan

Not knowing the specific answer, I was nonetheless struck by a
hypothesis. Use of the Japanese kana ¤Î has become somewhat of a
fad in Hong Kong and some Chinese territories (going along with a boom
in Japanese pop culture). I was wondering if the Chinese distributor
made up this title for Chinese audiences who, especially if they are
fans, know about the ¤Î already. In that case, this is not an
alternative Japanese title, but an alternative Chinese title which
nonetheless underlines this is a "cool Japan" film. Maybe someone else
knows the answer.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363