shutai vs. shutaisei ?

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Thu Dec 10 13:12:09 EST 2009

Dear all,

Thank you so much for your answers, which are of great interest to me.
Justin, could you give me the refererences of your quotations, so that I can
mention it in my PhD thesis and quote your work ? It does seem really
fascinating, as for the Matsumoto interview Yû-san refers to. I will try to
read as soon as I can, but being stuck in Paris is something really
unconvenient for scholars sometines... As for Markus' work, what, believe it
or not, I did not know (sorry ! but I shall redeem myself as soon as I can :
I saw it is available on the internet... )
By the way, I do agree with Markus, and I wouldn't mind reading some
japanese when it is about questions as important as the "shutaisei/shutai"
debate, and the changes of policy in JCP...

Actually, I know that Matsumoto's theories did not come out of the blue, and
relied on many other works. But I was surprised when reading *Eizô no hakken
* not to find references to Okamoto and Hanada for instance (especially his
writings about italian realim), and their attempt to merge/go beyond
abstraction and surrealism, their *taikyoku shugi* and other "mono"
considerations (especially when you know how important "mono" is for
"neo-documentarism")...
That's why I said that (i forgot to add an important "perhaps") those
theories "pretended" to be idiosyncratic in the realm of japanese thinkers :
it seemed to me that he only quoted former Japanese thinker, writer or
cinematographer in order to criticize them, or prefered to deal with
categories like marxism, surrealism, etc. instead of naming people... It
seemed obvious when drawing a comparison with Sartre, but I may be wrong
(and I'd be very pleased to be wrong, as a matter of fact)...

Thanks again
Mathieu