shutai vs. shutaisei ?

jesty at uchicago.edu jesty at uchicago.edu
Thu Dec 10 06:01:32 EST 2009

Hi Sato-san

Thank you for your suggestions. The Matsumoto interview is a
treasure trove!! I hadn't heard him talk about his early
university years, and the influence of Okamoto Taro, Hanada
Kiyoteru and Takiguchi Shuzo on him. Another thing that comes
out is the need for specificity in talking about the Kyosanto
related issues - they are so complex and personal that it's
dangerous to generalize. This has been really important for my
understanding.

Your notes to both interviews are also very helpful. I was
wondering if you know of any place where the documents related
to the Communist Party Cinema Committee are published or
collected into a shiryoshu. I've sometimes used Shin Nihon
Shuppansha's "Nihon Kyosanto 50nen mondai shiryo bunken shu"
(1981), and Minami Hiroshi's "Sengo shiryo: Bunka" (Nihon
hyoronsha, 1973) to get a general overview, but neither of
them seem to have stuff specifically related to film. Do you
have any ideas?

Thanks again for the suggestions,

Justin Jesty