JF Waste?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Fri Dec 4 07:46:25 EST 2009

Thanks again to Mark for the long post.

Two quick comments:

> The point by the former ambassador jibes with what I have read:
> funding for Bunkacho has had the lowest priority in the weakest
> ministry in the government. The JF appears to be an independent
> administrative agency under Bunkacho, but conspicuously, it is not
> shown on Bunkacho's org chart along with the other IAIs. What is
> their relationship, exactly?

The JF is not linked to the Bunkacho. As they say on their home page
they are " special legal entity supervised by the Foreign Ministry"
that "was subsequently reorganized as an independent administrative
institution". All the news reports I've seen/read still talk about it
being under the supervision of the MOFA and this link confirms that:

http://www.mofa.go.jp/mofaj/annai/shocho/dgh/

> $B!=(B If Bunkacho were compared with its European counterparts,
> the budget for the British Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Media is
> 11 times that of Bunkacho's. The French Ministry of Culture and
> Communication has a budget 14 times that of Bunkacho. In terms of
> per capita spending, Japan spent 478 yen per person in 2001, while
> England spent 2,592 yen and France 4,334 yen.

A university president wrote in the Asahi today that the percentage of
the national budget spent on culture in France is 0.9%, in Korea 0.8%
and in Japan 0.12%. Pretty lamentable.

I hope some of these stories generate discussions on what the cultural
policy should be.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363