Highest Grossing Japanese Films

Rob Buscher robbuscher at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 1 11:50:13 EST 2009

I've recently begun a research project that was partially inspired by the discussions here on the forum over the past few weeks regarding the bureaucracy at the JF, specifically involving the conservative criticism of films in the JF database that are viewed as 'undesirable' representations of Japan.
I would like to discuss the representational differences between state-supported films and those being marketed abroad by foreign title holders, such as Tartan Video. For this reason I am interested in gaining access to a list of highest grossing Japanese films, both domestically and abroad (if available). This data would serve as a segue into further research on the marketing techniques being applied to the more successful films and how they differ from their domestic counterparts.
I can read enough Japanese to translate an article if there is one available, but I lack the knowledge to perform extensive research of Japanese sources. Any suggestions for articles would be greatly appreciated (English or Japanese).
Best Regards,
Rob BuscherMA Candidate, Japanese CinemaSchool of Oriental and African StudiesLondon