Representations of Suicide in Japanese Cinema

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Fri Feb 27 12:20:03 EST 2009

Actually your frame of investigation is huge, and I guess there'll be tons
of films that will fit your demand. *Seppuku* or *Yukoku* are not to be
missed, I assume. Misumi Kenji has some seppuku "depiction" as well, in
films like *Ken* with Ichikawa Raizô, if I am no mistaking (and I may be).
(Sorry for using japanese titles, I don't know the english ones)
Regarding shinju or double-suicide, I would like to point some examples that
may interest you. Aside many examples of Chikamatsu's plays turned into
movies, you should refer to Oshima's *Muri shinju Nihon no natsu*, for it
questions (more or less directley) the links between death/suicide and
eroticism at the core of shinju. One may not forget that at the time Marquis
de Sade was translated by Shibuzawa Tatsuhiko ; Georges Bataille must have
been of prime interest as well to many japanese cinematographers - and to
Mishima, needless to say. In that perspective, Masumura's *Mojû*, among
others, shall provide a funny picture... If we consider Oshima, *Hakuchu no
torima* may also be interesting, for its comparison or competition between
the serial-rapist/killer and the mayor's son, i. e. killing vs shinju...
I think Yoshida should be considered as well, especially for *Kokuhakuteki
joyuron*, in which one of the three characters is a "shinju maniac', some
kind of female Dazai Osamu. *Mizu de kakareta monogatari *links shinju to
incest in a challenging way. *From that point of view, Akitsu onsen* is much
more classical in a way, but should be interesting for your topic.  Last but
not least, *Chi ha kawaiteru* : the main character tries to commit suicide
and then become a popular hero... Yoshida claims that this film focuses on
suicide as the expression of "higaisha ishiki" that most cinematographers
criticized back to 1955/1965, etc. His interviews will ba as interesting as
the movie itself...
If you can read french, you should take a look to two publications : Maurice
Pinguet, *La Mort volontaire au Japon*, and Alain Walter, *L'Erotique du
Japon classique*. They're not free from what one may call some kind of
"japonism", but they will provide some interesting hints.

Mathieu Capel
Paris

--
Mathieu Capel