CFP: Kinema Club IX at Harvard

amnornes at umich.edu amnornes at umich.edu
Fri Jan 16 14:17:53 EST 2009

/ Call for Papers/

  KINEMA CLUB IX
 AT HARVARD UNIVERSITY

 MARCH 13-15, 2009

 / Organized by and Abé Mark Nornes (University of Michigan/Edwin O. Reischauer Visiting Professor, Harvard University) & Dmitry Mironenko (Harvard University) /

We are pleased to announce the 9th Kinema Club, to take place at Harvard University from March 13 (Friday) to 15 (Sunday). This will be an INTIMATE, WORKSHOP-STYLE EVENT WITH ONLY 6 PRE-READ PAPERS. Presenters will be limited to a five-minute introduction, followed by a focused discussion of the work at hand. We encourage proposals from people desiring feedback on drafts of essays, dissertation chapters or sections of books.

As always, Kinema Club is open to the public, although RSVPS are necessary. The texts will be circulated two weeks ahead of time to participants that RSVP.

Two special sessions will bookend the papers. On Friday morning at 10:00 am, the Harvard Film Archive will host the Club and kick off the proceedings with a screening of a Japanese film from their collection (Title TBA). On Sunday, we will end with a roundtable. We invite topic proposals for said roundtable, as well as for discussants (a role that may help some acquire travel funds to attend).

 DEADLINES:

/ Paper proposals: /February 6

/  Line-up Announcement: /February 9

/RSVPs for all participants due: /February 20

Papers distributed via email on February 27

 SEND PROPOSALS to Organizers: Dmitry Mironenko (dmironen at fas.harvard.edu) and Abé Mark Nornes (amnornes at umich.edu)

 WHAT IS KINEMA CLUB?

Kinema Club is an informal community of scholars, artists, and fans interested in Japanese moving image media established in the early 1990s. Back then we were a small group of like-minded graduate students, frustrated at the lack of community and of bibliographic resources for Japanese film (particularly for work in the language). Each ?member? of this little club xeroxed and swapped the tables of contents for major film journals. When someone new came in, they would go and copy the table of contents for a new journal in return for receiving the core collection. In 1995, bibliography Maureen Donovan (OSU) gave us a website and encouraged us to go digital and see what would come of it. We established a newsgroup called KineJapan, which instantly grew to 50 names. KineJapan now has over 600 participants from every part of the world.

>>From this description you might gather than Kinema Club is more an idea than a group. The idea is that ?Kinema Club? provides a rubric within which anything is possible. No one owns it. Anyone can take it and do something creative with it. We have no dues (and no budget or bank account). No system of introductions. No office. It is amorphous, even anarchic, but it has definitely played an important role in networking all the scholars, programmers and fans interested in Japanese cinema.

One of the most important activities has been our workshops and conferences. At the end of the 1990s, the study of Japanese cinema was undergoing some interesting transformations. Most notably, it was becoming increasingly interdisciplinary. To confront these changes head-on, an intimate workshop was held at the University of Michigan in 1999. One thing became immediately evident: although there were many students and professors studying Japanese film and television, no one really knew each other. KineJapan already had over 200 members at that point, but few people had met face to face. So subsequent workshops and conferences were held in Hawai?i (2003), NYU (2004), McGill (2004), Tokyo (2005), NYU (2005), Yale (2006), and Frankfurt (2007). The programs for all these conferences are on the archives section of the Kinema Club website[1].

Links:
------
[1] pears.lib.ohio-state.edu/Markus/Welcome.html