PM Yoshida's "sports, screen and sex"

Michael Raine mjraine at uchicago.edu
Thu Jan 1 23:56:56 EST 2009

Hello Roland,

Is there a good source for reading about occupation policies such as these?
I've only seen the terms as part of a criticism of occupation or
post-occupation policy, but I haven't found a statement of the policy
itself. Also, I think Jonathan Abel and others have written about 3S in the
prewar. Speaking of Oshima ... he used a different triad (Speed, Thrill
[suriru], Sex) in when writing about Nakahira Ko in Sengo eiga: hakai to
sozo. That combination was quite common in the 1950s, I think. I've seen
various permutations of S-words used to talk about Korea in the 1980s and
even consumerism in South East Asia. In general, I think it was a shorthand
on the cultural left for how capitalism was bamboozling the people with
commodity fetishism. That's how Sasaki Ko, the "Japanese Elvis" (he's in
Yoshida's Rokudenashi and Oshima's The Sun's Burial) talks about his own
career...

Michael

Michael Raine
Assistant Professor in Japanese Cinema