Self-Indroduction and "koko ga hen da yo nihonjin"

Jan Paul Hoga janpaulhoga at gmail.com
Wed Jun 17 17:31:43 EDT 2009

Name: Jan Paul Hoga
Institutional affiliation or job: Center for Japanese Studies, University of
Marburg, Germany
City and country: Marburg, Germany
Research projects or publications: Master-Thesis about the Japanese “self”
and the “other” in media (not even a working title)
Interests with regard to Japanese film and moving image media: Japanese
television and film in general. More of the old films as the new ones
though.

Hello everyone!

I'm getting near my Mastersthesis and need to find an appropriate topic
putting japan and media together. Now my search led me to the topic of the
“self” and the “other” contructed in japanese media of every kind, in its
extremes pushing and maintaining the myth of “nihonjinron” in japanese
society. I found the TV-show “koko ga hen da yo nihonjin” as a real popular
media product ideal for looking at this topic maybe from a way the cultural
studies do it. For those who don't know the show, it's a kind of dicussion
often leading to verbal battle between foreigners and Japanese, talking
about any kind “national” and later on “international” topic or problem,
i.e. “ijime”, stamps made of ivory, killing wales, love hotels and so on.

I know it's not exacly japanese “film” but maybe you could help me to get
more than the two episodes I got from my professor on tape. I looked it up
in the internet for buying (ok, and downloading) but it seems to be too old
(it ran from 1999 to 2001) for being digitalized and spread very far. I
think of writing to TBS and asking them by a formal letter if they can do
something. Do you think they will let me have it? You have any suggestions
on laying hands on enough episodes to write a masters thesis?

Best regards,

Jan Paul Hoga