corr: asking your inputs about the Bunkacho project, the National Center for Media Arts

hakutaku at kansaigaidai.ac.jp hakutaku at kansaigaidai.ac.jp
Tue Jun 16 19:02:59 EDT 2009

It has been interesting to follow the many insightful suggestions by Aaron and others concerning the possibility of this new government project.

As someone who teaches both anime and manga ( among other areas), I wanted to say a few things about the importance of including manga. Manga does indeed have quite a history in Japan, yet so do cinema and animation. One key role of manga today is the way it serves as a base for developments in so many areas, including anime, games, and some types of live action cinema. To study Nausicaa, Akira, or Tezuka's animation (to name only a few of the most internationally popular) animations without deep study of their related manga is to form a very incomplete understanding of their production and meaning. To deeply study many of these areas of necessity involves manga, so to exclude the collection, preservation, exhibition, and most especially scholarly analysis of manga from such a center would be regrettable.
As I live in Kyoto, I regularly visit the Manga museum there, however, it is far from an ideal basis for a institution to study manga. The collection and Museum activities are largely focused on teenage and younger manga and audiences. They do invite noted manga creators to lecture but most of these lectures are fan based and directed rather than having scholarly content. There have been a few scholarly symposia and a few good (but extremely small and without catalogs) exhibitions of archival materials in their minimal display space, yet it is hard to imagine without a major change of direction that this Museum could develop or meaningfully support deep research, major exhibitions, and so on. Also, its location in Kyoto makes it hard to access for the academic and population centered in Tokyo and the Kanto area.

Given the history of such things, it is likely that something will be created in Tokyo that won't be what we would like to see and it will become necessary to see how whatever appears can then be made more useful. Nonetheless, this online discussion of what might be valuable seems like a significant opportunity to consider the importance of interdisciplinary work in contemporary media in Japan. I have often been frustrated by seeing a division made between the study of manga and anime among Japanese scholars despite the rewards of simultaneous consideration of these integrally interrelated forms. I hope others might share online some thoughts about these topics.

Paul Berry
Professor
Kansai Gaidai University
Osaka

>I have received quite a few messages on and off list. Thank you so
>much! One thing that has become clear is that the ideas I received
>are almost completely absent on Japanese websites and blogs, perhaps
>all 704,000 sleds I hit on google. This is also the case in the June
>4 symposium in which the four brains of the center plan--Hamano
>Yasuki (prof. at Tokyo U.), Satonaka Machiko (cartoonist), Tosa
>Nobumichi (artist), and Moriyama Tomoe (curator)--expressed their
>opinions (http://ameblo.jp/akihiko/entry-10274113451.html).  So it
>seems very significant to address researchers' viewpoints and
>demands, though  I think I should be careful about this politically
>sensitive issue. I might post later. Many thanks again!
>
>Hideaki Fujiki
>

>On 2009/06/12, at 22:37, Ariane Beldi wrote:
>
>> Dear all,
>>
>> This message is only superficially related to this fascinating
>> discussion,
>> but since you are talking about early Japanese animation, I can't
>> help but
>> signal the forthcoming retrospective on 60 years of animes at the next
>> Locarno International Film Festival
>> (http://www.pardo.ch/jahia/Jahia/home/lang/en) in Switzerland. Here
>> is the
>> Website with the description of this part of the festival and an
>> upcoming
>> detailed program: http://www.mangaimpact.ch/.  These events are being
>> organized in cooperation with the National Museum of Cinema of Torino,
>> Italy. If I'm not wrong, the museum will also be holding a special
>> exhibit
>> on Japanese animation until the end of this year.
>>
>> Since I live in Switzerland (though not in Ticino, the Italian-
>> speaking area
>> where the Festival takes place) and plan to attend it at least for
>> a few
>> days, if anyone is interested and would like some information about
>> travel
>> and accomodation arrangement, I'll gladly try my best to help you.
>>
>> I apologize that one of my only contributions to this mailing list
>> is not
>> directly linked to the topic and hope you will not mind too much.
>> However,
>> reading your discussion reminded me of an article about this coming
>> retrospective, which said that most of the animes that will be
>> presented
>> come from Western collections. Apparently, it is only recently that
>> Japanese
>> institutions have decided to keep archives of these productions.
>>
>> Again, I'm sorry for intervening here with this announcement only
>> slightly
>> related to the topic of your discussion.
>>
>> Best,
>>
>> Ariane Beldi
>>
>> Ph.D. Candidate
>> Doctoral School in Media & Communication Studies
> [...]
>>> events. That is the problem with hakomono gyosei: fund what's good