Information re donation of English Books on Japan

Roger Macy macyroger at yahoo.co.uk
Sat May 30 23:05:03 EDT 2009

Granted that anyone will find parts of someone else's list bizarre, but briefly moving to neutral territory by going beyond books purely on film, the selection of the third (rather than the fourth) edition of 'Governing Japan' suggests the word 'contemporary;', rather than its meaning, has been important.  And for relevance to contemporary studies in the U.S. - Dower's 'War Without Mercy' ? yes, but surely a study of occupation, such as his 'Embracing Defeat' ?
And the choices are not cost-free.  Whenever I buy second-hand books on Japanese topics, I am usually offered 'ex-library stock', and when I have chosen ones so-described, they turn out to be from the smaller institutions in the U.S. (and the U.K)  - just those libraries this scheme is aimed at.  I don't see any obligation on the receiving libraries to increase their stock, or even retain it.

 Roger