Alternative Conference to SCMS

Joseph Murphy murphy7312 at ufl.edu
Thu May 21 09:23:13 EDT 2009

Dear Colleagues,
There is a big difference in the response between a week ago and the
response now.  There were quarantines coming out of Narita two weeks
ago, but none of the quarantined people ended up testing positive, and
the movement by the government is toward a "cooler" response.  The
initial guidance to local governments from the Ministry of Health was
to take the policies put in place re SARS in 2003 and apply them "with
discretion."  But nobody gave any hints what "discretion" meant, and
in the early stages (what Chiyoda-ku was dealing with), this was
interpreted as no discretion.  But the consensus being reached in the
last few days is that while this flu is spreading at epidemic
proportions, the toxicity is not nearly as high as SARS, rather is
more like seasonal flu (from which of course many, many people die
every year), and if treated promptly, is not a serious worry for
otherwise healthy people.
So, when 2 high school females returned from a Mock-UN conference in
NYC yesterday, evinced swine flu symptoms on the plane, and later were
confirmed to have H1N1, I have not heard that they quarantined anyone,
even though one girl took the two hour trip home from the airport in a
limousine bus with 30 other people.  They are monitoring all the
people around them, but not quarantining.  Similarly, both Tokyo
municipal and Kanagawa-ken have called for a measured response, and
have neither moved to close schools nor cancel events.  (contrast is
w/ Osaka/Kobe, where the transmission route is not clear, and they
have closed schools massively).
So, the sense is they are getting a handle on the way this virus
works, and feel okay with a measured, situation-by-situation
response.  I am not blaming Chiyoda-ku, they were dealing with a
different set of information a week ago.  But for now, I think anyone
coming to Japan can feel confident to be dealing with a reasonable
response.
yours,
J. Murphy