Two talks by Mary Ann Doane in Nagoya

Hideaki Fujiki hfuji at info.human.nagoya-u.ac.jp
Thu May 14 02:12:21 EDT 2009

Dear list members,

We have invited Mary Ann Doane to our two events in Nagoya. I have
just confirmed with her that she will come to Japan although the SCMS
conference has been cancelled. Please join us if you are interested.
But I have to say that there only remain quite a limited number of
admission tickets for the May 29 lecture, though it is free.
Registration on the website (http://www.chukyo-u.ac.jp/event/annai/
2009/005_new.html) has already been closed. So if you want to attend
this, please let me know by email OFF LIST by May 20th. In the case
the tickets run out, I apologize in advance. In this lecture, she
will discuss the persistence of the argument (Bergson, Jameson, etc.)
that time has become spatialized in modernity and/or postmodernity,
analyzing Sugimoto Hiroshi's photographic series-Theaters, Jim
Cambell's _Illuminated Average_, Tsai Ming-Liang's _Goodbye, Dragon
Inn_, and movie trailers.

The May 30 lecture will be held at Nagoya University, as part of the
Japan Society of Image Arts and Sciences. The admission fee for non-
members costs 2,000 yen and 1,000 yen for a student. Pre-registration
is not necessarily required for admission to this, but you can
register on the website (http://www.jasias-chubu.org/35/
participate.html). In the lecture she will discuss the close-up.

You see the basic information below.

Hideaki Fujiki

**********************
[May 29 (Fri.), 2009]
Title: Has Time Become Space?
Time: 3:00 -4:30p.m.
Place: Nagoya City Science Museum
	http://www.ncsm.city.nagoya.jp/english/
Host:  Chukyo University

[May 30 (Sat.), 2009]
Title: The Close-up: Immobility and Scale in the Cinema
Time: 1:30-5:30 p.m. (including discussion time)
Place: Noyori Conference Hall, Nagoya University
	No. 68 on the campus map http://www.nagoya-u.ac.jp/en/global-info/
access-map/higashiyama/
	For access to the campus, see http://www.nagoya-u.ac.jp/en/global-
info/access-map/access/