Films about (war/post war) prostitution

eigagogo at free.fr eigagogo at free.fr
Sun Oct 18 14:35:53 EDT 2009

Dear all,

I'm looking for movies centered around prostitution theme/ interesting
prostitute characterization, especially those set-up in WW2 war/post-war Japan
(if i'm correct 1956 was the year of an anti-prostitution law). Names like
Mizoguchi's Street of Shame/Women of the nights, Naruse's Flowing, Kumai's
Sandankan n?8, Suzuki Seijun's trilogy, Kumashiro's Street of joy, Oguri's Muddy
River comes to mind, but no doubt there's others interesting (and lesser-known)
examples. Was this theme illustrated by 'shomin-geki' filmmakers such as Gosho,
Shimizu, Ozu, Naruse? I'm looking for non-exploitative movies putting emphasis
on these strong-willed women.

Similar questions for more 'modern' depictions set-up in the 60/70s, like those
we can see in Imamura or Kumashiro works.

Thanks again!

Martin