Material for a documentary on Meiji-era Japan

Arne Fahje arne at fahje.dk
Sat Oct 17 00:59:49 EDT 2009

Dear List,

For a project currently investigated by an association I am connected
with in Germany I would appreciate advice on where to search for
material/sources, which can be used in a documentary movie (e.g. early
moving pictures, stills, prints, etc...)  on the lives and times of the
foreign traders in Japan during the early and mid Meiji period,
especially in Niigata (Niigata city & Sado Island), Nagasaki, Kobe and
Yokohama (with a special focus on Niigata).

The documentary under planning is on a very specific persons/local
events, wherefore it is fairly difficult to obtain suitable materials.
Hence I would appreciate any advice on institutions in Japan, which
might hold materials on that era and topics or maybe persons which have
experience working in that field.

Kind regards
Arne Fahje