Fake Trailer

Mathieu Capel mathieucapel at gmail.com
Sat Sep 19 09:32:28 EDT 2009

As Oshima recalls about *Asu no taiyô*, this kind of "salutation movie (?)"
(aisatsu eiga) were screened in movie theatre as well as feature films. They
were neither trailer of upcoming films nor movie in itself, but something
what aimed at introducing Shôchiku new faces. Something like a short PR
film... And I assumed that this kind of short film would be packaged with
full-length feature films, thanks to the *nihondate* system (double
feature).
For this *Asu no taiyô*, Oshima claims to have directed everything, from
scenario to casting of actors and staff, editing, etc. I imagine that's why
it is often considered as Oshima's first film, and why it should not be
regarded on the same level as the trailers he made for Oba Hideo for
instance.

Anyway, would not Jonouchi Motoharu *Gewaltpia trailer *(1969) be an example
of the "fake trailer" we are now talking about ?

Mathieu Capel
Paris