H-JAPAN (E): representations of blacknesS, Japanese & Korean Cinema

Jasper Sharp jasper_sharp at hotmail.com
Thu Sep 3 08:27:39 EDT 2009

This reminds me of PiFan festival in Puchon, Korea, when an American film curator, Dennis Nybeck, screened a whole load of politically incorrect American cartoons featuring racist stereotypes, films such as Disney's "Mickey's Treasure Island" and Warner Brothers "Coal Black and de Sebbun Dwarves" which the studios have long tried to suppress. The films were interesting time capsules from another less enlightened era, but I was surprised during the Q&A afterwards, when one of the Korean audience members asked why the films were seen as racially offensive, as "the black characters seemed happy and enjoying themselves".I guess in racially homogeneous societies there's never been the sort of racial suppression on a mass scale as in Europe or America, and with black people a very small and near invisible minority, its not such a sensitive area, and also audiences can't identify so much with the characters, hence they are usually portrayed in a one-dimensional, often comical light. The offensiveness of films such as Shinozaki's (I guess this must have been one of the later Deka Matsuri films) and Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl is really down to naivety on the part of the filmmakers.
I saw Hotel Hibiscus, and its an awfully twee drama set in Okinawa. As Brian has pointed out, one of the characters is mixed race, the illegitimate son of a GI. Beyond that, I don't remember much about it other than finding the film really irritating, with its cast of quirky and cute characters.
Jasper

Midnight Eye: The Latest and Best in Japanese Cinema
www.midnighteye.com

More details about me on http://jaspersharp.com/