Japanese queer/gay cinema

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at pomona.edu
Tue Apr 20 05:18:15 EDT 2010

Dear All,

It's already been mentioned in passing as one of the essays in the Andrew Grossman edited volume, Shadows in the Shade, but there you can find my queer political critique of the logic of gay representation in the gay boom films (as I call them) of the early 1990s.  See "Japan's Progressive Sex: Male Homosexuality, National Competition, and the Cinema."   It's the opening essay, and a lengthy one at  52 pages. It gives a  rich context, if I might be so bold, for the terrain beyond the films I analyze.  I'm pretty sure I was the first to offer a film studies analysis of  the gay boom phenomenon in either English or Japanese.  Despite my critique of the film, I did enjoy Okoge in many ways. In this less heady decade, I might have written a more nuanced piece that gives it its funny due.

If you have interest and then trouble in getting a hold of my essay, I can send you a pdf version.

Jonathan