Japanese queer/gay cinema

Eike Exner eexner at usc.edu
Wed Apr 14 20:42:34 EDT 2010

"Love My Life" and "Kitchen" have already been mentioned, but there are
a few other recent ones, most notably perhaps "Boys Love" (which you can
even find on DVD at Kinokuniya in LA, and also watch on Youtube).
There's also a gay character in "Waterboys," although it's only a minor
element. And there are several older cross-dressing gay men in the film
as well.
"Tokyo Tower" also features a gay minor character as well as a scene in
a gay bar.
"Samurai Fiction" hints at its main villain/antihero being gay a few times.
"Honokaa Boy" features an older straight Japanese-American man wearing a
??? t-shirt. Because he cannot read it he asks the Japanese
protagonist to do so for him. His response is something about love
surpassing walls. Later the old man finds out what it really says, but
after scolding the protagonist for lying to him remarks "but it was a
good translation."
Your student might also want to check out the TV drama (movie?) version
of 4TEEN. I have only read the book, but it features one story about a
gay teenager, which may have made it into the TV version.
That's about all I can think of right now. Hope it helps.

Eike