Japanese queer/gay cinema

Jim Harper jimharper666 at yahoo.co.uk
Wed Apr 14 18:24:06 EDT 2010

These don't count as major themes, but there are homosexual/transexual/transvestite elements in Wild Zero (transvestite, played mainly for comedy), Wizard of Darkness (female teacher having affair with female pupil) and Misa the Dark Angel (relationships between female schoolgirls). As I said, these don't really qualify as major themes, but they are present, and they go beyond the fairly chaste same-sex crushes depicted frequently in anime and other media.

Jim.