Japanese queer/gay cinema

Jessica Langer jessicalanger at googlemail.com
Wed Apr 14 17:40:16 EDT 2010

Hi Dick,

I'm not sure if this is directly relevant, as it is a Hong Kong film, but
Yim Ho's fantastic film *Kitchen *(1997) is an adaptation of the Banana
Yoshimoto novel of the same name. It looks like there was also a 1989
adaptation directed by Morita Yoshimitsu, but I haven't seen it. The story
revolves partially around a young man and his transsexual/transvestite
(there sems to be some slippage between the two categories) father who
became his mother. The novel is certainly worth reading, and it would
probably be worth it to see both films.

Hope this helps your student.

Jessica Langer
Research Associate, Royal Holloway, University of London