Film help

desser at illinois.edu desser at illinois.edu
Thu Apr 1 11:38:02 EDT 2010

Hello all -

A friend has written me to see if I know what the following film might be.  I do not.  Any help appreciated!

David

He writes:
"The film I'm trying to track down is a postwar 1940s Japanese B/W
film, set in the aftermath of WWII, which is about 65 minutes long,
and begins with two old women walking in a desolate dump wasteland, and one asks the other "have you got any heroin," and the other one responds "no, I want morphine myself," or words to that effect. Later, it turns into a gangster story, with a young punk vs. the cops... I saw it years ago, but the title has slipped my mind; powerful film.