Japan and Cult

Bernd Standhaft berndstandhaft at gmx.de
Wed Feb 17 21:22:20 EST 2010

Hi,

Mark Mays wrote:

> Interesting. I think the notion speaks to how Japanese films make it to
> the West (the US in my case) and how they play to certain expectations/
> notions of Japanese cinema especially in the 18 to 34 demographic.

I think an interesting example of transnational film marketing can be experienced in the way some film producers in Japan tried to hop on the wave of Japanese Cult Cinema in the West and produce films with an international Cult Film Market in mind. I think of Machine Girl, Tokyo Gore Police, Chanbara Beauty, Samurai Princess, Vampire Girl vs. Frankenstein Girl... . Maybe the success of these films can explain why a film of the type of Hausu can appeal to certain audiences even more than 30 years after the original release in Japan and become Cult.

Greetings
Bernd