Japan and Cult

Robyn Citizen rc1434 at nyu.edu
Mon Feb 15 23:21:37 EST 2010

>I would not call it completly distubing, but
rather,>

By "disturbing" I meant that *I* was disturbed that these people and films which were peripheral, in a sense, to the Japanese film industry as a whole, were disproportionately central in my courses on Japanese and East Asian films which skipped over popular films for the most part (even Miyazaki).  I didn't mean to imply that it was disturbing for most folks in Japan not to be familiar with those directors or movies.   Chalk that up to my awkward phrasing!

I think Bordwell's old essay about art cinema being a transnational film practice is still so relevant.  Looking at and analyzing New Wave or 60s cinemas from France, Italy, Japan, Czechslovakia and Brazil, the similarities in style, narrative form and thematic concerns is striking to my undergrads even as the national/regional particularities remain apparent in the texts.

Robyn Citizen
PhD Candidate
Cinema Studies
New York University
alternate e-mail: ladykaede1221 at gmail.com

"I'm giving her all she's got Captain!" - Scotty, Star Trek 2009