Pre-grad school Japanese/East Asian Studies programs?

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at
Mon Feb 15 20:41:53 EST 2010

Others have mentioned other MA programs, so I thought I should mention  
the MA program in East Asian Studies at Yale. It is a year long,  
groups together people of different disciplines, but tends to be well- 
funded (which means fellowship money for students). Some think it is a  
bit short, but it might be good in your case as you want to get  
acclimated to grad school before taking the PhD plunge. You can of  
course do Japanese language work as well as a lot of film and  
literature. Yale has the combined PhD program in East Asian film, and  
one of our current doctoral students started out in the MA (and  
applied to the PhD during that year). It is a good stepping stone to  
that program.

It is of course too late to apply for this fall, but feel free to  
contact me off list if you have any questions.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363
Phone: 1-203-432-7082
Fax: 1-203-432-6764
e-mail: aaron.gerow at

More information about the KineJapan mailing list