Pre-grad school Japanese/East Asian Studies programs?

TRAN, Si Bang mstchin at yahoo.com
Mon Feb 15 14:22:18 EST 2010

Hello Benito:

I usually just lurk, but I do sometimes de-lurk to make comments or answer questions.

I am not sure whether this is what you are looking for, but since you are in the New York City area, have you considered Columbia University?

Columbia University has various programs about Japan, in the Humanities and Social Sciences.  Columbia University even has a program in Hogaku/Gagaku and offers Language training in Kanbun.  I believe that Columbia University is still taking applications for admission to Masters program for Autumn of 2010, and there are some ways to take some courses on non-degree basis and non-matriculated basis.

In addition, I believe that Prof. Paul J. ANDERERS and Prof. HORI Hikari in Columbia University's Department Of East Asian Languages And Literatures do some work in Japanese Film, as well as someone in the Film Division of the School Of The Arts of Columbia University.

If you just want to improve your Japanese, Columbia University's Language Resource Center has a Language Maintenance Group/Tutorial, which you might be able to join.

Michael