Nihon/Nippon

Jason Gray loaded_films at yahoo.co.jp
Mon Feb 15 00:37:47 EST 2010

On a tangent regarding the Nihon/Nippon issue, I remember
asking TBS back in 2006 why their remake/reboot of Nippon
Chinbotsu was changed to "Nihon..." when the original
novel and film were "Nippon". They put it down to some
kind of "broadcast standard" which I didn't have time to
follow up on (NTV is obviously still branded as "Nippon
Televsion" in English). We still hear/see "Nippon" in
sporting contexts and the like but I'm curious about the
changeover (or rather default) in film indices for titles
and when that began. Does it also apply to production
companies and distributors?

jg