AW: Help

Aaron Gerow aaron.gerow at yale.edu
Sat Feb 13 20:57:21 EST 2010

On Feb 14, 2010, at 3:50 AM, Roland Domenig wrote:

> in the magazine Nippon eiga (which - another pitfall - is often
> wrongly transcripted as Nihon eiga)

This is actually just as difficult a problem. "Nihon eiga" is how it
is catalogued in the Diet Library and how most of the libraries in the
world render it (though some add Nippon eiga as an alternative
reading). That may be a matter of convention--the US Library of
Congress, for instance, stipulates rendering $BF|K\(B as Nihon unless
otherwise specified--but it has also become the conventional reading.
I always render it Nihon eiga because if my readers want to look up
the journal in the library, that is what they should look under.

Aaron Gerow
Associate Professor
Film Studies Program/East Asian Languages and Literatures
Yale University
53 Wall Street, Room 316
PO Box 208363
New Haven, CT 06520-8363