question regarding early archives and Japanese film

Mark Nornes amnornes at umich.edu
Sun Feb 7 22:36:36 EST 2010

Frank Capra and Ruth Benedict were watching Japanese feature films shortly after Pearl Harbor. Where did the prints come from? It's an interesting question. And as Roger indicates, the alternative universe where a powerful programmer got behind Asian film could have altered the bedrock of "international cinema" long before Rashomon.

Markus