Interviews on Tokyo-Ga

Jonathan M. Hall jmhall at pomona.edu
Fri Feb 5 20:52:16 EST 2010

Dear Roger and all,

It would be great to hear why Rayns thinks the film is wretched--and why it's far worse than that for you!  I can imagine some reasons.  Certainly, the film is maudlin, sanctifying, and self-important, the interview with Herzog disturbing in its exposition of that director's racism, and the image of Japan a montage of 1980s stereotypes.  Theoretically, it seems to borrow very much from Schrader's Transcendental Film, by which I am not much persuaded.   I can see there are ample reasons to dislike it.  That said,  I do believe it is one of the most successful documentaries about Japanese film in its ability to put a Japanese film into both local and international contexts, to address not only the director but the 'auteur,' and to use Ozu's own work to make its points. Even if I disagree with its vision or dated--even hackneyed--observations about Japan--, I thought Wenders was very successful in getting his viewers to care about the details of Ozu's camerawork.  And the interviews you cite really make me choke up every time I see them--to feel such love and passion.  In its diaristic recounting of his failure to encounter a Japan long gone, I think the film was quite prescient.  If you compare it to other major documentaries about Japan made in the 1980s then it's actually quite refreshing.  In fact, it's not really until the 1990s that we see less stereotyped visions with broader palettes.

As for the interpreter, it would be very interesting to hear if someone on the list knows who conducted or interpreted for the interviews.  But I would not think there's any reason to assume that Hasumi conducted the interviews. As a film scholar at the height of his powers, I can imagine him providing introductions, but why would he conduct the interviews?  But maybe not.  It really would be interesting.  Perhaps you could contact Wim Wenders office?

The lack of credit for an interpreter is hardly surprising--and in fact is  the norm. Interpreting is understood as artless piecework, noticeable usually only for its failures.  I recently did a set of interviews with the major figures (Fuji Tatsuya, Sai Yoichi, Tomiyama Katsue, and Koyama Akiko) involved in Oshima's In The Realm of the Senses for a European documentary.  As anyone who's interpreted for on-camera interviews knows, you often have to go through great gymnastics to simulate an eyeline  that hides the interpreter--to create the semblance of communication with the so-called interviewer.  My request for credit was, I think, surprising to those making the doc.

Jonathan M Hall