Japanese language programs

Bruce Baird baird at asianlan.umass.edu
Fri Feb 5 11:06:03 EST 2010

There was an article in the NYTimes just the other day about Rosetta
Stone--
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/28/technology/personaltech/
28basics.html?scp=1&sq=rosetta%20stone&st=cse

I've never used it and I don't know if something has changed, but it
apparently worked for someone going from Farsi to English. Whether it
is as good at going away from english is another question.

On Feb 4, 2010, at 11:20 PM, Benito Cachinero wrote:

> Sorry, I just think Rosetta Stone is a scam geared towards
> dilettantes.  Maybe something miraculous happened to the software,
> but when I tried it 10ish years ago it was a laughable collection
> of mini-games.
>
> Your other suggestions are good, though.  I wish I had had KanKen
> games when I was coming up...
>
> Benito
>
> On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 11:00 PM, <drainer at mpinet.net> wrote:
>
> No apologies necessary.
>
> I was not suggesting flashcards, but rather Japanese games like 漢
> 検 or even something like  ことばのパズル (which is a
> *great* vocabulary builder). Remember, these are made for Japanese
> who are learning vocabulary or kanji; if you master all the 漢検
> games you will be well beyond a scholar's grasp...
>
> Textbooks, of course, are also great, but I believe in following
> all of the paths, and I think that media, especially television, is
> the way to fluency. It worked for me well beyond Japanese...
>
> -d
>

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "BC" <pencileraser at gmail.com>

Bruce Baird
Assistant Professor
Asian Languages and Literatures
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Butô, Japanese Theater, Intellectual History

717 Herter Hall
161 Presidents Drive
University of Massachusetts Amherst
Amherst, MA 01003-9312