Japanese language programs

drainer at mpinet.net drainer at mpinet.net
Thu Feb 4 22:30:50 EST 2010

Hi Robyn,

Unfortunately that seems to be the requirement for most formal institutions,
though I think there could be placement tests. Perhaps others on the list
could give you better advice on specifics.

Cornell University also has a good program (FALCON) designed for
beginner/intermediate/advanced students, though the costs are a bit
prohibitive.

There are many intensive language schools in Japan, some good, many bad.
There is an institute which keeps costs low--the name escapes me, anyone
remember it? I think it is somewhere in kansai and starts with an Y, though
I am not sure at all....

Your best bet would be an intensive course at a university in Japan for one
or two semesters, though I am not sure if you have the time as you are a
focusing on the PhD.

To be honest, I would even recommend Rosetta Stone, if you've got the time
and patience and can get it through your department. It's not the greatest
learning tool in the world, but it works well enough for an intermediate
learner or someone adept at listening.

I did not take three semesters of Japanese at university, so I had to learn
on my own (and trust me, I never studied). In my experience, listening is
the key...the hardest part is bridging the gap between intermediate and
advanced...after that, just get a Nintendo DS and some Kanji learning games!

-d